Homeowner's Guide to Greenville
Are you planning a move to Greenville, SC? Download our homeowner's guide to get insider tips and tricks from the locals here at Triangle Pest! We've got the scoop on the best neighborhoods, restaurants, & more.
Nervous about your move to Greenville? Let our homeowner’s guide lead the way!
If you’ve made the decision to move to Greenville, South Carolina, you’ve made a fantastic choice. With gorgeous weather, beautiful scenery, and the friendly faces that South Carolina is known for, Greenville is the perfect place for you to call home.
But no matter how wonderful a place is, making a move to a new location – whether it be for work or for personal reasons – can be daunting. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if you could have one single, comprehensive guide telling you everything you need to know about Greenville before you make the move? At Triangle Pest Control, we are locals here in Greenville–some of us have lived here our entire lives! We know everything there is to know about this area, and it is our pleasure to pass that valuable information along to you–our new neighbors!
Our Homeowner’s Guide to Greenville, SC will help you learn everything you need to know to experience a fun and successful move to your new home. This guide is stuffed full of great information, including:
- The best neighborhoods to live in
- The best restaurants to try out
- The most fun things to do in the city and beyond
- How to most easily get around Greenville
- Quick tips for moving
- And much more!
Check out our Homeowners Guide to Greenville below, and let us show you around our city. We are so excited to share our knowledge with you, and can’t wait to call you our new neighbors!
Homeowner's Guide to Greenville
Table of Contents:
So You’re Moving to Greenville, SC? Here’s What You Should Know!
Greenville is such a wonderful place to call home--we’ve been locals ourselves for decades and some of us have even lived here our entire lives. We might be biased, but we think that Greenville, South Carolina is the best place in the nation to live, work, and play! However, before you get started making your life here, let us help you with a few of the basics!
Here in this guide, we’ve compiled for you just about everything you will need to know in order to successfully make Greenville, South Carolina your home. You’ll find everything from the best neighborhoods to live in, the best restaurants to visit, government information and everything in between. We want to make your move to our neck of the woods as easy as possible, so you can focus on doing the things that matter the most–starting your life here in beautiful Greenville, SC!
Moving can be made a whole lot more complicated when you are purchasing a new home–but it doesn’t have to be a hassle! Check out our resources below especially for homeowners to help make your move to Greenville a breeze!
Real Estate Agents
Let’s face it, hiring the right real estate agent can make or break your move to a new place. Having a strong and experienced agent lead you through the process of buying a home will make sure that you get exactly what you want. It’s safe to say that there are tons of quality real estate agents in the Greenville area, but we can recommend a few standouts. If you’re looking for a great real estate agent who will help you navigate home buying in your new city, check out these recommendations:
Once you’ve purchased your home, you’re going to want some utilities to go in it, of course! Instead of searching the yellow pages looking for companies to call, let us get you started. Check out our list of the area’s utility companies below to get you off on the right foot once you make your move!
Now that you have the basics like water, natural gas, and electricity ready to go in your new home here in Greenville, it’s time to get cracking on some home-related companies to make your home a little bit more comfortable. Our list below details everything from the best cable companies to your local exterminator, so make these companies next on your list of calls when you get ready to move.
- Cable: Xfinity, Charter, Dish, DirecTV
- Pest Control: Triangle Pest Control, of course!
- Plumber: Dipple Plumbing, Budget Plumbing
- Electrician: Wilkins Electric
- HVAC: Greenville Heating and Air
- Multi-Service: Corley Pro - Plumbing, Air and Electric
Quick Tips: Homeowner Tips and Tricks
- Owning a home in South Carolina is very different from owning a home in other places. There are some things that you should know should you choose to make your home here. Check out our quick tips to help your home ownership experience here in Greenville go off without a hitch!
- We get a lot of rain in Greenville, which means you might have to alter the way you take care of your lawn. More rainy days means less watering needed, so be sure to consult your local lawn care technicians so you don’t waste water or money!
- Because of our moist climate here in Greenville, household pests, including termites, are common. Keep a lookout in your home for termites and other bugs and give us a call at the first sign of a termite or pest infestation!
- If you’re moving into a new home when you arrive, it is important not to waive your home inspections. Be sure that your inspector checks for signs of termite damage, water damage, and other pitfalls before you sign on the dotted line!
Let’s face it, the moving process is never a fun thing to do, but it doesn’t have to be stressful or exhausting! Here in Greenville, we have plenty of moving resources to help get you through so you can focus less on the stress of moving here and spend more time getting excited about making this wonderful place your new home. Check out our moving resources below!
When you move to a new place, packing up and moving all of your belongings can be the most stressful part. Luckily, there are plenty of moving companies right here in Greenville that can not only get your items from point A to point B, but help you pack and unpack your items, too! Check out our recommendations for local moving companies to help make your trip as easy and painless as possible:
Quick Tips: Moving Tips and Tricks
Moving to a new place doesn’t have to be a hassle–instead, if you have the right tools and information, it can be exhilarating and exciting! Check out our quick tips below to help make your move fast and easy, so you can enjoy it instead of stressing about it!
- Lighten your load. Before you start packing up your things, have a yard sale and make a few donations to a charity of the things you no longer use or need. You will make a little extra cash, do good for the community, and have fewer things to move all at the same time!
- Mark your boxes. Nothing is worse than arriving home to a bunch of identical boxes with no idea where they go. Pack similar items in the same box, and mark them carefully with the room they will go in once you arrive. This will not only help movers work more quickly, but also help you when you’re unpacking your items.
- Wear the right moving clothes. Don’t wear expensive clothing–instead, on moving day, wear old jeans and a t-shirt that you don’t mind getting ruined. Moving is dirty, dusty, heavy work–you don’t want to ruin clothing that you love!
- Consider child and pet care. Think about how stressful the move is for you–it will be even more stressful for your kids and pets! On moving day, consider child and pet care, so they can be removed from the stress, and bring them back once the move is over and they can settle into their new home!
- Have your home inspected for pests. Soon after you arrive it is a good idea to have a pest inspection done–especially if the home has been vacant for more than a few days before you move in. Our technicians here at Triangle Pest Control can do a sweep of your home to get rid of icky bugs like spiders and cockroaches that may have made their way inside, and look for signs of termites. You’ll feel better knowing that you’re the only new resident in your home!
One of the hardest parts of getting your life started in a new place is knowing where to find those day-to-day necessities, like your neighborhood grocery store, or where your kids will go to school. Well, we’ve just made that part of the move much easier for you! In this section, we will explore all of the local information that you will need to know to make your first few weeks in your new home easier. Check out our listing of Greenville local information below, and you’ll be a local yourself before you know it!
Best Greenville Communities to Live In
When you’re planning a move to a whole new city, or whole new state, finding the best communities to live in can certainly be a challenge. We’re locals to the Greenville area here at Triangle Pest Control, so we know a thing or two about the best neighborhoods to live in. Let us take the guesswork out of it for you! Find our listing of the best communities in Greenville to call home below!
- North Main: If you’re a young professional, or if you have a growing family, North Main might be the best community for you. Located in a beautiful area just a few minutes away from downtown Greenville, this area offers a great location with lots of conveniences. This area has everything from new construction to gorgeous, historical homes with something perfect for everyone!
- Simpsonville: If you are looking for a lot more home on a more modest housing budget, Simpsonville is a great choice. Located a little further from the metropolitan area of Greenville, the Simpsonville area is a great choice for families who need a little bit more room.
- Augusta Road: If you’re looking for a historic, stately home, the Augusta Road area is a great place to start. This area has plenty of historic homes which add a little more luxury to your home experience, while still remaining less than five minutes from the downtown Greenville area.
Schools in the Greenville Area
Once you’ve chosen your new neighborhood and home, it’s time to start looking at schools for your kids to attend. Greenville has plenty of schools all around the city that are great choices for your children’s education. Check out just a few of them below:
- Elementary Schools: Alexander Elementary School, Lake Forest Elementary School, Thomas E. Kerns Elementary School
- Middle Schools: Greenville Middle Academy, Dr. Phinnize G. Fisher Middle School, Lakeview Middle School
- High Schools: Southside High School, Wade Hampton High School
- Private Schools: Carolina International Preparatory School, Haynesworth Private School, Christ Church Episcopal School
Greenville Area Colleges
Are you thinking about pursuing a little bit of higher education, or have children who will be college-age soon? Greenville has a plethora of colleges and universities closely to choose from:
- Furman University
- Greenville Technical College
- Bob Jones University
- Academy of Hair Technology
- Tabernacle Baptist College
- USC Upstate
Once you get settled in your new home, you might find that you are in the market to purchase a new vehicle. While there are many different car dealerships in the Greenville area, here are just a few:
Business, Finance, and Personal Companies
In your old home, you may have had lots of business, finance, and personal companies who helped you manage your wealth and make business decisions. When you make your move to Greenville, SC, you might feel like a fish out of water in terms of finding new, quality professionals that you can trust. We’ve just made that process much easier! Take a look at our picks here:
- CPA: Brock and Company CPAs, Stokes and Company CPAs
- Financial Planner: FinTrust Financial Advisors, Greenville Financial Advisors
- Attorney: Ryan Montgomery - Attorney at Law
Since you won’t be living in the same place, you’ll have to find a new doctor once you get to Greenville. Finding a new doctor or other medical professional for yourself or a member of your family can be complicated, but we want to help. We’ve made a list of top providers in the area to help you get started!
- General Practitioner: University Medical Associates
- Pediatrician: Carolina Pediatrics of Greenville
- Dentist: Greenville Smiles Family Dentistry
- Orthodontist: Orthodontic Associates of Greenville
- Urgent Care: EmergencyMD
Local Grocery Stores
Finding a grocery store once you move to Greenville may be one of the last things on your list, but the truth is, finding the grocery store that is close to you, has the items you need, and is the most convenient and affordable will make your life here much easier. To make it simple to find the best grocery stores in the area, we’ve made a list especially for you!
Although we hope that you will never need them, one of the most important aspects of moving to a new place is knowing how to get in touch with emergency services. It is always better to have this information in advance and not need it than to need it and not have it ready to go. Below are the emergency services contacts that you will need to know. We recommend printing this part out and putting it someplace where it can be easily accessed–like on your refrigerator or right beside your phone.
- Emergency Medical Services: 864-467-7005
- Greenville County Sheriff’s Office: 864-271-5210
- Greenville Fire Department: 864-467-4445
- Animal Emergency Clinic: 864-232-1878
Things to Know About Greenville, SC
- Did you know that Greenville, SC was named the 2003 winner of the Great American Main Street award?
- Downtown Greenville is one of the only downtown areas in the United States that is also home to natural waterfalls!
- Greenville is home to nearly 200 annual events including festivals, fairs, live music, and much more!
- Greenville has more than 50 golf courses–perfect for golf fanatics!
- Do you love the great outdoors? There are more than 10 state parks within an hour of downtown!
- If you love to travel, Greenville is a great location to live. We are just an hour from the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, and less than three hours from the beach!
Greenville Employment and Cost of Living
If you’re moving to Greenville to find a better employment situation, you’ve made a great choice! Greenville has a relatively low unemployment rate in comparison with the rest of the United States, making it a great place for professionals hoping to jumpstart their careers. Greenville has a thriving business climate too:
- There are more than 200 international companies that call Greenville home
- There are 170 corporate headquarters in the city limits
- Greenville was named one of America’s “50 Hottest Cities” by Expansion Management Magazine
The cost of living in Greenville might be a little higher than most of South Carolina, but you truly get what you pay for. With the fantastic infrastructure in the city as well as plenty of businesses looking for new employees, Greenville is a fantastic place for families and young professionals to call home!
Weather and Climate in Greenville
One of the great things about living in Greenville is the varied seasons that you get to experience as a resident. In the summertime, you can enjoy warm temperatures in the upper 80s, with lots of summer rainstorms to help cool it down a bit. In the wintertime, you can enjoy cooler temperatures around 35 degrees, with a couple of inches of snow to be expected each year. Whether you are a snowbird or a warm weather lover, Greenville is sure to please!
When you’re making a move to any city, you might have questions about getting around. Transportation around your new home is important, and in Greenville, there are plenty of ways to get around. The city is easily driveable, with plenty of parking anywhere you could want to go. The city also features:
- Taxi services
- Greenlink Public Transportation
- Downtown trolley services
- And more!
Greenville Government Information
When you move to a new place, it’s a good idea to know how to get in touch with your new local government! Check out our handy links below to get you connected!
- City Attorney
- City Clerk
- City Manager
- Garbage and Recycling
- Greenlink Transit
- Parks and Recreation
- Public Works
- City Council
Now that we’re done with the nitty-gritty, everyday ins and outs of living in Greenville, we can get right to the fun part–all of the great things there are to do right here in the city! Greenville is a vibrant, beautiful, fun-filled area chock full of excitement and activities. Check out our listings below of local attractions that you can enjoy so you can become a real local even sooner!
The Top 5 Things to Do in Greenville
Did you know that Greenville was rated the #1 most affordable city for outdoor-lovers? You'll find plenty of outdoor activities and adventures to do in Greenville, but here are some other things to do too:
- Visit a State Park: We mentioned before that Greenville is an hour from tons of state parks, but did you know that visiting them is one of the most popular pastimes for Greenville residents? Visiting a state park gives you the chance to recharge after a hectic week at work or home. We recommend you pack up the family, grab some lunch, and head out for an outdoor adventure!
- Head Downtown: Even if you don’t choose to live downtown, taking a trip to visit the downtown area is a great way to spend some time getting to know your new city! Check out a restaurant, peruse through a gallery, or just enjoy exploring your home.
- Go on a Bike Ride: Maybe it’s a Greenville thing, but we sure think that taking a bike ride around town is just the best! Taking the city by bike is a great way to see things in a whole new light, and a great way to get the family outside for some beneficial exercise. Greenville even has bicycle rental programs, so you don’t even need to bring your own!
- Take in Some Live Music: If you love music–and who doesn’t–you’re in luck as a newly-minted Greenville resident. Live music is one of the things that we do best! Right in the city, you can find live music in restaurants and bars, but also as part of the more than 200 festivals and fairs that grace this wonderful city every year! You can hardly go a weekend without there being a music event, and the best part is that many of them are completely free!
- Go Shopping: Greenville is the perfect home for those who love to shop, and the Greenville downtown area has plenty of shopping centers to choose from. Whether you love clothes, art, home decor or anything in between, Greenville has a shop that has in-stock exactly what you’re looking for!
The Best Places to Go
Greenville has no shortage of exciting places to see! Whether you are looking for an educational museum, a great local park, a fabulous shopping center or something in between, Greenville has plenty to offer. Check out our favorite venues!
Museums are a great indoor activity for when we have one of our many rainy days, or just when you need to escape the summer heat or winter chill. Our favorite museums to visit are:
- Greenville County Museum of Art
- Roper Mountain Science Center
- Upcountry History Museum
- The Children’s Museum of the Upstate
- Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum & Baseball Library
Are you a big shopper who lives for the thrill of the find? Greenville has plenty of shopping options to keep you occupied! Check out our favorite shopping destinations in the area:
- Haywood Mall
- Cherrydale Point Mall
- Shops of Provence
- Greenville West End
Are you ready to get outside and spend some time with friends and family outdoors? Our local parks in Greenville can provide the perfect backdrop for your outdoor activities! Here are just a few of our favorite local parks that are easy to get to!
- Falls Park
- Cleveland Park
- Legacy Park
- Timmons Park
- McPherson Park
- Gower Estates Park
- Holmes Park
- And more!
The Best Restaurants in Greenville
One of the best ways to get acquainted with the city is to taste its flavors firsthand! Greenville has a vast array of culinary options to satisfy even the most refined and picky palate! Check out some of our recommendations for the top restaurants to try in Greenville:
- Smoky Dreams BBQ
- Soby’s Louisiana Cuisine
- Rick Erwin’s West End Grill
- Larkin’s on the River
- Pomegranate on Main
- The Lazy Goat
- And more!
Welcome to the Neighborhood!
Although any move to a new place can feel daunting, we hope that our New Homeowner’s Guide to Greenville, SC has helped you to feel more comfortable making your home here in Greenville. It has been our pleasure to act as your guide through all of the things that you will need to make this place feel like home. Let us be the first to say, welcome home, we can’t wait to call you our new neighbors!