How to Eliminate Mice & Rats from Your Home
Do you live in Chapel Hill and are having problems with mice or rats? Have you been hearing noises in your walls or attic? Chances are that you are not the only person looking for a Chapel Hill Exterminator.
Mice and Rats Can Spread Diseases
This past year, mice and rat infestations were not only high, in some cases they were fatal. Diseases and viruses such as Hantavirus can be present in the rodents' urine, droppings and saliva, and is spread to people when they breathe in air contaminated with the virus, the CDC says. E.g. direct contact is not required to get diseases from a rodent infestation.
Mice and Rats Can Cause Home Fires
Another common detrimental consequence of a mice or rat infestation is fires. Mice and rats have teeth that grow extremely fast. In fact, their front incisors never stop growing. So in order to keep their teeth worn down, mice and rats must chew continuously. Often times this can be wiring, internet cables and just about anything else you can think of in your home.
How Can You Prevent Mice or Rats?
Fortunately, preventing mice and rats is much easier than mice or rat removal. Here are some simple tips that you can do that in most cases will keep the mice and rats from the inside of your home: Prevent rodents and mice by caulking holes
- Seal cracks and holes on the exterior of your home
- Seal areas where utility lines and pipes enter your home
- Install gutters to channel water away from your home
- Store any boxes that you have off of the floor (this prevents mice and rats from nesting in them)
How Can You Get Rid of Mice and Rats?
If you currently are dealing with a mouse or rat infestation, there are some things that you can do yourself to try eliminate the problem:
- You set snap traps - Place them close to the wall as mice and rats like to run near walls. The downside of this method is that you have clean up the mouse if the snap trap works
- You can purchase mice poison - Typically we don't recommend this option to our customers. Mouse and Rat poison is also poison for humans and pets.
Of course, if you decide that you don't want to deal with the mice and rats yourself, then call a professional Chapel Hill rodent exterminator. Triangle Pest Control is Chapel Hill's #1 rated exterminator and is fully licensed in Structural Pest Control by the state of North Carolina and we have plenty of experience with mice and rat extermination.